🤖 What is the Wavebox Webdock?
🤖 Wavebox KnowHow Series
This article is part of a Wavebox blog series that breaks down our powerful productivity platform into bite-size features: More articles →
Introducing the Webdock
The Webdock (sidebar) is the central navigation point for all your stuff in Wavebox. It sits neatly down the left-hand side of the main window so you can switch between groups, apps, and tabs as you work.
- The webdock only appears on the left-hand side of the main Wavebox window.
- You can change the color of the webdock by changing your Theme. Go to 'Settings > General > User Interface > App Theme.
- Go to 'Settings > General > User Interface > Webdock' to see different customizations for the webdock, e.g. hide/reveal.
- The webdock supports dragging for rearranging icons, tab folders, and tabs.
The Webdock supports two layouts, and you can change layouts at any time by clicking on the switcher icon in the top-left of the toolbar—when in List view, the icon is a bulleted list, when in Explorer view, it's a filing cabinet.
- 📋 List Layout: this is the default view and displays Groups and Apps. Perfect if you love icons and like them to be tidy.
- 🗄 Explorer Layout: this view shows Groups, Apps, and Tabs as a more detailed tree hierarchy. Perfect if you have loads of apps, tab folders, and tabs to keep track of.
🤓 PRO TIP: Go to 'Settings > General > User Interface > Webdock' to see different customizations for the webdock, e.g. hide/reveal.
Webdock List Layout
LIST LAYOUT is the default view when you install Wavebox. It shows all your groups as rounded square icons, with collapsable dividers in between. You can manage the size of the icons by dragging the webdock wider and narrower. When it reaches a certain point, it will also display the names of each group.
🤓 PRO TIPS:
- You can move apps from the top toolbar into the webdock so they are shown below the main group icon. App icons in the sidebar look like smaller rounded squares. Right-click on any app and select 'Move app to... > Move app to the webdock'.
- If you have quite a few apps showing in a webdock group, you can choose to hide them when the group is inactive. Right-click on the group icon and select 'Settings > Group Settings > Collapse sidebar apps when group is inactive'.
Webdock Explorer Layout
EXPLORER LAYOUT is a fully expanded view that displays all your groups, apps, tabs, and tab folders in one tree view. It removes the top toolbar and tabstrip to give more space in the main window. You can collapse or expand dividers, groups, apps, tabs, and folders by hovering over them and pressing the up/down arrow.
The Explorer layout also supports tab folders. Folders help you organize all your tabs into tidy tree structures. Right-click on a tab to create a new folder and select 'Add tab to a new folder.' You can then name it and change the icon color. You can then name it and change the icon's color. Once you have a folder, drag and drop as many tabs into it as you like. You can also have folders in folders, just repeat the process to create a new folder and drag more tabs in!
🤓 PRO TIP: If your webdock starts getting cluttered, don't forget you can expand and collapse your folders so that you can only see what you need.
How do I add dividers?
Collapsable dividers are a great way to save space and order your groups in the webdock. Chances are when you first installed Wavebox, it automatically added some dividers for you, such as Work, Home, Client 1, etc.
To add more dividers, right-click on any group in the webdock and pick 'Add Divider.' You can then drag it up or down to where you want it. Any groups below that divider will now collapse into it, so you may need to add another divider to make certain groups visible again. To rename a divider, simply right-click on it and edit the name under 'label.'
🤓 DIVIDER PRO TIP: When you drag a divider to move it - note that this just moves the divider, not the groups beneath it.
🚀 Try Wavebox - From medical researchers to virtual assistants, Wavebox is helping busy people worldwide rediscover the web and harness its potential to make life easier—just take a quick look at our Trustpilot reviews to see how delighted Waveboxers are with their new browser workflows. Download Wavebox on mac, Windows, and Linux to start your 7-day free trial.